Festival : BikesEvery year Chorlton's Big Green Festival is a focal point for everybody who wants to celebrate cycling in and around Manchester. It's time to pedal into 2012's Summer of Cycling, so get your bike out on the first Saturday of summertime (March 31st) and join us for another fun filled family-friendly celebration!
The theme of last year's festival was 'Bike to the Future' and Transition Chorlton showed Beauty and the Bike at their What Next? Fringe Film Night. We aim to build on last year's success by having even more bike attractions and activities at this year's festival.
This year there will be a selection of information and workshops available all day to encourage people to get the most out of their bikes, with plenty of information on offer about traffic-free routes, road skills, bike security, basic maintenance and much more.
All the bike stalls are listed on our stalls page.
Every year we take to the streets with an inclusive family-friendly bike parade during the festival. Last year's Big Green Bike Parade featured a quad-cycle, trikes, tandems, recumbents and even a penny farthing alongside lots of more traditional bikes – you can watch a video below. This year's bike parade will leave at 12.30pm so please arrive before then and be ready to leave on time. Marshals will be on hand to help the event run smoothly. We will be travelling at a leisurely pace so everyone can join in.
There is also a feeder ride to the festival from Manchester's Oxford Road station via Rusholme and the lovely Fallowfield Loop cycleway – see the route here and the approximate times below. If you are traveling from central Manchester or live near the route then start your festival early with this enjoyable ride to Chorlton!
Thanks to Lorenza and Dr C for supporting this initiative.
- 11.00 MCR Oxford Road station (at Salisbury, Thirsty Scholar, Sound Control)
- 11.05 University Place (on Oxford Road, opposite Manchester Museum)
- 11.10 Whitworth Park (wait outside Wetherspoon's, by the main road)
- 11.15 Owen's Park (Wilmslow Rd car park, opposite Mabfield Rd)
- 11.20 Sainsbury's Fallowfield (wait on Sherwood St), then ride along the Fallowfield Loop
- 11.35 Arrive @ Chorlton's Big Green Festival
The times for Chorlton's Big Green Festival 2012 are:
- 11:00 Festival and bike stalls open
- 11:00 to 17:00 All day - bike maintenance workshops and rickshaw rides
- 12:30 to 13:00 Bike Parade around Chorlton
- 13:15 to 13:45 Spokes Bicycle Dance Troupe Performance
- 17:30 Bike stalls close
- 18:30 Music ends and festival closes
Here's a video of last year's bike parade setting off: